22 December 2008

Curses and blessings...

That ice storm was something else! And I have some really cool pictures to upload here but I have no power so I can't. I'm at my sister's in-laws right now borrowing their power and laptop. (They even fed us a delicious dinner!)

We lost power about a quarter to 5;00. It's freezing, but we were ok because we have a wonderful wood burning stove. That thing heated up our house and made my room HOT. Around 11:30 my brothers and I even cooked Ramen on it because we didn't have dinner. I love the wood burning stove, it's our saving grace!

Then, I get woken up at 2:00 to a "Steph, wake up and get your shoes! There a small fire in the attic and we need to get out." I love my sleep and have a hard time waking up but when something like that is yelled, you wake up quick. Curse you wood burning stove!!

We scrambled to wake the kids and get them out of the house. All the cars are iced over and I honestly have no idea how my dad was able to open the driver's door to the cars. Not even 5 minutes after calling 911, 4 fire trucks are on our street and the firemen are trekking up our hill/driveway.

Everyone is ok and we now have a new skylight. Power is still off and we now have no way to heat the house. Luckily my sister's in-laws live close and we're over here eating breakfast and charging our phones. (My phone completely died)

It was raining while we were outside with the firemen. We were out there for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Somewhere between 4:00 am and 9:30 the rain turned into snow and we woke up to at least 4 inches of new snow on top of the ice.

We still have no power but we have lots of sleeping bags and blankets! This has been a CRAZY week! But we learned a very important message.... we need to have backpacks with shoes, wallets, clothes, and car keys (along other stuff) to grab in an emergency. Some of us didn't even know where our shoes were. We'll be working on that today so we'll be better prepared if anything like this ever happens again.

I will be posting pictures of the ice storm and the firemen working on our house later. When we get power again.... Well I'm off to be social now! :-)

No comments: