04 July 2010

Happy Independence Day!

I love my country and I'm so proud to celebrate it's Independence Day. As a woman, I love and hold dear the freedom and rights that I have in this wonderful country. (And I love that my country gives me a three-day weekend to celebrate. Thanks America, you're the best!)

I have several revolutionary soldiers in my family line and I'm proud to have reaped the benefits of what they fought for. And I'm extremely proud that they were willing to fight when the odds weren't in their favor. Let's put this in perspective, shall we? And this perspective is thanks to David McCullough's book 1776 (if you haven't read it, you should)

When George Washington provided his formal acceptance to command the troops he began by telling congress, "I am truly sensible of the high honor done me in this appointment, yet I feel great distress from a consciousness that my abilities and military experience may not be equal to the extensive and important trust." In a letter address to his wife Martha he wrote, "...I have used every endeavor in my power to avoid it, not only from my unwillingness to part with you and the family but from a consciousness of its being a trust too great for my capacity..."

"If he saw the responsibility as too great for his ability, it was because he had a realistic idea of how immense that responsibility would be. For such a trust, to lead and undisciplined, poorly armed volunteer force of farmers and tradesmen against the best-trained, best-equipped, most formidable military force on earth - and with so much riding on the outcome - was, in reality, more than any man was qualified for."

Did you know that "...for those that carried the fight for independence [in 1776 brought] all-too few victories, ...suffering, disease, hunger, desertion, cowardice, disillusionment, defeat, terrible discouragement, and fear as they would never forget, but also of phenomenal courage and bedrock devotion to country, and that too, they would never forget. Especially for those who had been with Washington and who knew what a close call it was at the beginning - how often circumstance, storms, contrary winds, the oddities or strengths of individual character had made the difference - the outcomes seemed little short of a miracle."

My 5th Great Grandpa, Thomas Knighton, was a revolutionary soldier who had served under General George Washington and one time was a Life Guard of his. And he would often tell his grand-daughter, Sarah Rich, "... stories of the war and the hardships he and others had to pass through..." And he often told Sarah "... what a good and great man General Washington was... and he would go into his tent and shut himself up and pray to the Lord for all the men and officers that served under him..." (From Sarah Rich's autobiography)

Today at church we sung the Star Spangled Banner and I love that song. And I leaned over and proudly told my friend Cecily "I've seen the flag that inspired this song." That flag was big, dirty, tattered, pieces missing, and exceptionally beautiful. If you're ever in Washington DC check out the Smithsonian of US History and see it for yourself. It's amazing.

Everyone have fun celebrating this wonderful nation and be safe!

4 comments:

Ivon said...

It is hard to add to your comments. Thanks for your post. Love you.

Kim said...

Great post ~ gave me goosebumps!

Laura said...

Awesome post! Love you!!

Nancy said...

We are so lucky to be citizens of this great nation, we are truly blessed!