03 July 2010

I need a photography challenge!

And I think I have discovered one.

Each week in July I'm going to go out on a photo-walk using film. Yes, you read that correctly. Film. I'm affectionally calling it :

Film may be a dying art but it's not dead! If I can get my hands on it I want to do a week with black and white film and a week with slide film but have it processed as 35 mm. This is going to be fun!

Digital is just so.... perfect. I'm kind of tired of perfect. There's beauty in imperfections. If you expose and focus properly film can have "perfect" results as well. BUT isn't it more fun to manipulate the film and get different images. Images that not anyone and everyone can take. For example, my Holga lets light in and the film is exposed to light leaks, most will say this is an imperfection and ruins the film, but it makes the images unpredictable. And I find that exciting! My favorite photo that I've taken is from my Holga.

Unfortunately I won't be able to share my favorites right away since I have to get the film developed before I can share.

P.S. I know "le film" is movie film but I liked the sound of it better than viva la pellicule

5 comments:

Laura said...

I can't wait to see my holga photos from todays photowalk. I haven't used her since New Orleans! Fun challenge!

Sherri said...

That is so fun! I hope to see your work soon! =)

Ivon said...

Take me, take me next time. Love you.

Kim said...

Glad you had fun ~ I commented on fb, but I'll leave one here too. I have to cover my bases :-) I can't wait to see your photos!!

Nancy said...

I'm interested in seeing your results, it's going to be fun!!