01 February 2011

True Story

Have you seen Finding Nemo? If so, remember the part when Marlin and Dora are about to exit the EAC and Squirt comes and in his cuteness says:

"Good afternoon. We're gonna have a good jump today. Do you have your exit buddy?...." and then he proceeds to explain how they are to exit the EAC.


And during the whole conversation, Marlin has the deer in the headlights look and his eyes go larger and larger as he mumbles "It's like he's trying to speak to me..."

When I first moved here and people would speak to me I felt like Marlin. I had the deer in the headlights look while I tried to process what was being said to me. Sometimes my processing wasn't accurate...

But it's been a couple months and I've gotten better at it! Sometimes I'm still slow in responding since I'm trying to process. People at church I can understand. People on the street, sometimes not so much.

Anyways, I thought I was getting better....

The other day I was at the mall and a lady stopped me and I swear she just said "mwaghaghajgnghaghbnlafhgah." I just stood there staring at her. I couldn't process a single word she just said.

I had no clue.

I didn't want to be rude and just walk away though. I figured she was trying to sell me something because she came from a desk, so I did the "usual foreigner" response. I smiled and said "No thank you" and then walked away. Hahahaha

3 comments:

Nancy said...

When we lived in London I couldn't understand our Bishop! He talked so fast and had such a strong accent, I'd get about every fourth word. I. too did a lot of smiling and nodding....also the deer in the headlight look. Their accent depends on where they're from, We met some boys from Liverpool, they didn't even sound like they were speaking English!!! Love you!!

Kim said...

Maybe they are all speaking whale?

Laura said...

SO FUNNY!!!