15 April 2010

Tim Gunn says "Make it work"

And boy did we ever. My sister and I have "sister power" and when our powers combine we make fondant cakes (among other crafty things).
This fondant Coach purse is our latest creation.

Sunday was our Aunt's birthday and we wanted to do her birthday cake. This way we saved Dennis from going to the store to buy an ugly cake. (No offense stores!) Our first thought was a stack of books because Mary loves reading. And then we thought "No, she loves Coach even more." So we decided on a coach purse.

Making this was a comedy of errors. We learned from the oh-so-many mistakes that we will add to our bucket of knowledge for future cakes. There were many times Laura wanted to give up and start over again and I kept repeating Tim Gunn. "We will make it work" It's like artwork, when you make a mistake you don't throw it away, you go with the flow and work with that mistake to turn it into something good. (Hey, like life!) Who knew that making cakes can provide life lessons?

The cake wasn't what we envisioned, but we made it work and I think it turned out adorable.

6 comments:

Laura said...

You're right, it did turn out great despite our "challenges". I'm glad you were calm during my stressing moments! I have fun with you and our sister power! :-)

Kim said...

I think it turned out fabulous!! Two brains always make things better :-) Enjoy your sister power and treasure it ~ you're very lucky!!

Becca and fam said...

I LOVE the cake!!! I've always wanted a purse cake. You guys did a great job!

5Youngers said...

It looked so fab! I agree, mistakes aren't really mistakes just happy adjustments!

Sherri said...

You guys are cake decorating pros!

The Farrs said...

How clever you are! :-)